Thursday 7 November 2013

So why Bulgaria?


Sofia, the capital city of Bulgaria (source)

This is the question everyone has asked when I tell them where I'm going. After 'you're going where?', which explains the title of this blog.

The best answer I've got is 'why not?'

I'm going to Bulgaria for eight months to work with Youth For Understanding as an intern. A friend who hosts exchange students through YFU told me about the job advertisement, and it happened to be absolutely perfect timing. I'd just gone through some big changes in my life and it has been my dream for years to live overseas, so I applied without a second thought.

A few months went by, and I was busy actioning other plans when YFU said they wanted me. So then it was a decision between a great career opportunity or a chance to live in Europe - naturally, I chose the latter. Who needs a career when instead I can eat lots of pastries and have a white Christmas? (Incidentally, it's also the second Christmas in a row I'll be in Europe instead of at home - sorry Mum!)

Really, though, it was the easiest choice to make. When I was at university I got accepted to go to Sweden as an exchange student, but I pulled out just months before I was meant to leave. It was partly because Sweden is a seriously expensive country, partly because I was a bit scared to leave Adelaide for a whole year, and partly because I'd just met a nice guy.

Moral of the story: don't let nerves and romance get in the way of awesome overseas trips.

So this time I'm going through with it. Moving to a country where I don't know anyone and don't speak the language is the scariest thing I've ever done, but also the most exciting. After months and months of waiting for my visa to be granted, I finally have everything sorted - I'll be leaving in just over three weeks!

2 comments:

  1. I love you my baby cousin and am really proud that you finished uni and are going thru with this trip. Kelly

    ReplyDelete