Monday 9 December 2013

Arriving in Sofia

Alexander Nevsky Cathedral

So I finally arrived in Sofia last Tuesday evening, after a gruelling 30-hour journey that involved three flights and not much sleep. It's taken me a few days to shake off the jetlag (thanks for the numerous 4am wake-up calls, body clock), but I'm finally feeling settled. The main impression that the city has left on me so far is that it's freezing and I had to buy a warmer coat. Australian clothes just aren't equipped for this weather.

It's been overwhelming so far, but in the best possible way. It's so strange to think that this time last December I was arriving in Paris for a winter holiday in Europe. I never would have guessed that I would be coming back in just a year, to live and work in Bulgaria for eight months - the idea still seems crazy to me. I'm living with 16-year-old Yana and her mum Rusanka, who are lovely, and keep worrying about whether I'm warm enough and whether I'm eating enough!

Bulgaria is a poor country, and you can see that everywhere in Sofia. There are cracks in the pavement, the public transport is rickety and old-fashioned, and there are half-constructed buildings where the money ran out before they could finish them. It's definitely a different kind of city to what I'm used to, but it has its charm. There is lots of cool architecture and some pretty amazing churches, as well as a giant egg of happiness right outside my office.


The egg of happiness, everyone puts their hand on it when they walk past to make a wish

Everyone in Bulgaria has been incredibly nice and helpful so far, although that could just be because I brought them Tim Tams (which were devoured almost immediately). I am hopeless at Bulgarian, so it's lucky most people speak excellent English.

On Saturday night I overestimated my abilities at navigation in the dark and got a bit lost, oops. I managed to get off the tram at the right stop but then couldn't find the way back to my apartment. Luckily with the help of a very attractive Bulgarian man I managed to call Yana and find my way home, so no harm done! If it means I get to chat up sexy men I might get lost more often.

I'm starting to long for the warm weather back home, but it did snow here a little the other day. Hopefully I get a white Christmas!

Mount Vitosha overlooking the city



2 comments:

  1. Great! What work will you be doing? Do you know yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melanie! I am working for a student exchange organisation called YFU, where I am working on social media/communications and student recruitment!

    ReplyDelete